Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
This Vegan Shepherd’s Pie is just what you need when you are looking for a satisfying, wholesome vegan meal.
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 450g (16 oz) mushrooms, sliced
- 6 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 2 tbs gluten free corn flour
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup red wine (optional)
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1kg (2.2 lbs) golden sweet potato
- 2 servings Just Natural Clean Lean Protein
- 1/4 cup plant-based milk
- Fresh herbs – we used 1 bay leave and a sprig of rosemary
- Salt and pepper
- To make the mashed potatoes for the top of the shepherd’s pie, peel the potatoes, chop them roughly and boil until tender in a large pot of water. Drain the water and mash the potato, adding in the milk and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Now it’s time to prepare the vegetable pie filling! Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Farenheit. In a large oven proof pot (or if you don’t have one of these, a pan), heat the olive oil over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion has turned translucent.
- Add the mushrooms, carrots and herbs to the pot and sauté until the carrot is softened.
- Add the tomato paste and corn flour to the pot and stir. Pour in the red wine and stir again, making sure to scrape all of the browned bits off the bottom of your pot. Allow to cook for two minutes before slowly adding the stock to the pot, stirring continuously until a gravy forms. Season with salt and pepper and add the protein. Stir to combine and allow filling to simmer over a low heat until it thickens further.
- Once thickened, remove the herbs and stir in the peas. Turn off the heat.
- If using an oven-proof pot, top your filling with the mashed potatoes, spreading it out evenly on top. If not using an oven-proof pot, transfer your mixture to an oven-proof baking dish and repeat the same process.
- Lightly brush the top of your potato with extra virgin olive oil and bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 400 degrees Farenheit.